Portfolio Sabbatical Officers what does this all mean?
Sabbatical Portfolio Positions:
Your sabbatical team have been reflecting on the effectiveness of the current sabbatical roles considering the recent change from University campus-specific facilities to cross-campus schools and are proposing that the Unions changes its sabbatical portfolios to the following new roles:
- President:The role and function of this position will not change from the current position and job description cited in the current Union By-Laws.
- Vice President Activities:This new sabbatical portfolio role will focus on the engagement with our student groups, the future development of student groups and leading on priority campaigns related to extra circular offer at the University.
- Vice President Undergraduate Education:This new sabbatical portfolio role will focus on the representation and improvement of the undergraduate experience at the University alongside taking a lead on undergraduate based educational campaigns.
- Vice President Postgraduate Education:This new sabbatical portfolio role will focus on the representation and improvement of the postgraduate experience at the University alongside taking a lead on postgraduate based educational campaigns.
- Vice President Welfare:This role will focus on the general student experience, campus-specific issues alongside supporting the liberation officers and leading on campaigns and initiatives to improve overall student welfare and wellbeing.
The intended benefits of this change are:
- A more effective and efficient delivery of key student voice priorities through the sabbatical officers being aligned to a clear remit and focus of representational priority alongside the removal of potentially duplicated priorities.
- An improved and more effective level of staff support for sabbatical officers through the ability to directly match the new officer portfolios to key job responsibilities of the staffing team which should lead to an increase in student representation and engagement.
- A clear conformance to the 1994 Education Act in ensuring that all members can stand for major officer positions rather than the current confusion/belief of members that the current campus-based portfolios are restricted to the associated campus.
- A much-needed increase in postgraduate engagement and representation which has been historically poor and underdeveloped within the organisation through the introduction of a specific postgraduate vice president.
- A more effective and consistent approach to the nomination of sabbatical officers to key University Committee meetings to allow robust support mechanisms to be put in place with the current staffing resource available.
- The development of more advanced stakeholder relationships with key University directors and departments to help drive key partnership projects and to enable to Union to deliver a more considered and confident voice of students.
Before taking such changes forward for approval via students council and the Unions Trustee board we are keen to hear your thoughts on these proposed changes and therefore please send us any thoughts, concerns or questions via email to email@example.com they can be taken into consideration no later than Friday 23rdNovember.