Page:Mitigating Circumstances
Accessibility Tools
Sign in

Mitigating Circumstances

Are you trying your best to meet your coursework and exam deadlines, but something beyond your control is negatively impacting on your studies? Submitting a Mitigating Circumstances Claim allows you to request an extension or a deferral of your assessment.

Can I submit a Mitigating Circumstances Claim?

Yes, if your circumstances were/are unforeseen, serious and relate to the timing of your assessment.

► Check before submitting/sitting your assessment!

The University operates a strict ‘fit to sit’ policy. This means that if you submit coursework or sit an exam, test, etc. then you have deemed yourself fit to do so.

If you’re unsure what to do, check with your Course Leader, Personal Tutor or Registry.


► How do I submit a Mitigating Circumstances Claim?

⇒ Check your deadline

The deadline to submit a claim is 1 month from the circumstances occurring, and no later than the published deadlines.

⇒ Get support!

It’s important to get support with your personal issues. It will also enable you to get evidence for your Mitigating Circumstances Claim. Without sufficient evidence your claim will be rejected.

To get support, see ‘I need more support' section below.

⇒ Gather your evidence

Make sure you obtain suitable evidence (e.g.. letter from a medical professional) that meets the University's criteria


► Submit your Mitigating Circumstances Claim

Follow the instructions here ⇒

Write your Statement. Explain how your circumstances negatively impacted your studies ⇒

Attach your evidence ⇒

⇒ If you submit your claim late, you must provide a good reason why.



If you feel that you will have to miss an examination, in-class test or presentation, or miss an assignment deadline by up to five days due to an unforeseen short-term illness, you can submit a mitigating circumstances claim and use the self-certify option– you won’t need any evidence. 

Please note, the ability to self-certify for a mitigating circumstances claim is only permitted twice in one academic year.


I submitted/sat an assessment, but was unfit to do so

► You should consider submitting an ‘unfit to sit’ Mitigating Circumstances Claim.

► You’ll need to provide evidence from a medical professional who states that you were both, a) unfit to take the assessment, and, b) unable to recognise that you were unfit.


What should I do while I’m waiting for a decision?

Check with your Module Leader and Registry whether you should take any referral assessments (in case your Mitigating Circumstances Claim isn't upheld).


I'm unhappy with the outcome.. What are my next steps?

You can submit a second Mitigating Circumstances Claim with new evidence within 1 month following the outcome of your 1st claim.

If you believe there has been material irregularity in the Mitigating Circumstances Claim process, e.g.. evidence you previously submitted wasn't considered, you can make an appeal and explain it in your statement.


I'd like more support

UWSU Advice offers friendly, free, confidential advice. We are independent of the University so are not involved in any part of the decision-making process but instead represent your interests.

We can help answer your questions, understand the Mitigating Circumstances Claim process, gather evidence, review your statement once it's been drafted and, if needed, offer suggestions to make it stronger or help you to connect with other people or services.


Book an appointment for advice


⇒ I’d like support with physical or mental health

Register with a GP

Self-refer to free, confidential services

Register with University Counseling

⇒ I have (or may have) learning difficulties, disabilities or long-term health issues

Register with Disability Learning Support.

⇒ I’d like help with my finances, fees or visa

Book an appointment with University Student Advice.

⇒ I'm unable to attend University

Write to your course leader and Registry to inform them.

⇒ I’m thinking about withdrawing/taking a break from University

Read these pages carefully and contact the University for support.