Page:Finding a GP
Accessibility Tools
Sign in

Finding a GP

Everyone falls sick every now and then - there's no getting around it - so it’s important that you register with your local GP. If you are living in Halls of University residence, check with the main reception desk as they will be able to provide you with services local to you. If you’re in private accommodation you can use the 'Find a GP' tool on the NHS website to locate your closest practice. 

NHS is the UK's health care provider and is free for all UK residents, this includes some international students. If you are from the EU or International and studying for over 6 months you are entitled to access the NHS services. The University's International webpage explains this in more detail and how you can apply.

If you don’t want to register with a GP (we recommend that you do) you can always visit a minor care unit. One of them is located at Northwick Park Hospital which on the same site as Harrow campus. You can walk in and request for an appointment, however you might have to wait longer times, sometimes up to 3 hours. Babylon Health has introduced a new app where you can facetime/video call a doctor for minor concerns; you would do this instead of registering with a local doctor and can be great for those with little time to visit a GP. 

If you are in an emergency and need immediate access to health care, call 999 from any landline or mobile phone. If it’s a non-emergency but you want some advice on whether you need to see a heath care provider then call 111 from any phone and speak with an advisor on what your options are. If you are onsite at any University campuses you can seek medical support from first aiders by calling 5555 on any of the university’s phones.