Dark Background


Light Background


A A A A 1
Page:I want to make a complaint about the University

I want to make a complaint about the University

If you’re not happy with something at University, it's best to let someone know so they can take action or support you to resolve the issue. You have a few options as to how you can do this:


1. Email University staff (e.g. your Personal Tutor, Course Leader or Head of School) to see if they can help to resolve the issue informally.


2. If your issue affects (or may affect) other students, you can raise if with your Course Rep, post your course feedback on Digital Rep, or submit your ideas for changes or improvements.


3. Submit a formal complaint.


What can I make a complaint about?

You can complaint about anything to do with the University, such as:

- Your course

- University staff

- University support services

- University facilities


What do I need to do?

Stage 1: Raise it informally with the University

Email your Personal Tutor or Course Leader or Head of School. Present your concerns and ask for their feedback.


Stage 2: Formal Complaint

If you aren't able to resolve the issue informally you can submit a formal complaint.


Check your deadline

You have 90 working days from the date the incident or issue took place .

If your complaint is after 90 days, but you can provide reasons why then you can still complain.


Prepare your complaint

1. Complete the 'Stage 2 formal complaints form'


2. Write your statement

 - Consider using a timeline (with approx dates or month/year) and bullets points.

 - Ensure you use full names and reference your evidence.

 - Focus on your strong points.

 - Address your weak points head on, e.g. lack of evidence? Explain your reasons.

 - Refer to the University Regulations, procedures and policies where possible to make your argument more persuasive.


3. Gather evidence to support your case, e.g. witness statements, emails, etc.


4. Propose the remedy (outcomes) you'd like to see.

What changes or actions do you want the University to make? For example: compensation of £XXX tuition fees or additional costs, an apology, explanation, course or service improvement suggestions, etc. Be as specific as possible.


I'm unhappy with the outcome.. What are my next steps?

Stage 3: You may be able to appeal the decision.

You have 10 working days from the decision to appeal.

Complete the 'Appeal Against the Formal Complaint Decision Form'



I'd like more support

I'd like help with submitting a complaint

UWSU Advice offers friendly, free, confidential advice. We are independent of the University so are not involved in any part of the decision-making process but instead represent your interests.

We can help you with: answering your questions, how you might reach an informal resolution or how to put together a formal complaint, and reviewing your complaint form before you submit it.


Book an appointment with UWSU Advice.


My concerns and suggestions affect other students


I believe the University hasn't followed its regulations regarding my results, or my Mitigating Circumstances (MC) claim

Check out 'I want to appeal an assessment mark', which explains Academic Appeals to request a review of a Assessment Board or MC Board decision.


I want to complain about the conduct of another student

See 'I want to report a student's behaviour'.