Page:Academic Appeals
Accessibility Tools
Sign in

Academic Appeals

If you think there's been an error (or what the University calls a 'material irregularity') in a board's decision, you may want to consider appealing.

There are two boards that make decisions:

1. Examination Board decisions (your assessment grades). 

You have the right to challenge the board's decision once grades have been published.

2. Mitigating Circumstances (MC) Board decisions (MC Claim outcomes).

You have the right to appeal an Mitigating Circumstances (MC) Board decision on your MC Claim.


Grounds for Appeal

What's really important to know is that you can't appeal just because you think a mark is incorrect as this is considered 'academic judgement'.

However if you think there has been 'material irregularity' (an error), for example, concerning the fairness of procedures, the facts of the case, misrepresentation, the manner of communication, bias, an opinion expressed outside the area of the marker's competence, the way evidence is considered, or maladministration in relation to these matters, these are all issues where academic judgement is not involved and so potentially grounds for an appeal.


What do I need to do?

► Check the deadline

15 working days from the date of the decision.


► Raise it informally with the University

Email your Personal Tutor and/or Course Leader or Head of Department. Ask for their written confirmation that your assessments were marked and moderated appropriately, and your marks were recorded in the system correctly.


► Prepare your appeal

1. Complete the Appeal Form:

You can find the area to submit an academic appeal by logging into your SRS web profile on e:Vision and going into the My Self-Service menu. Any documentary evidence to support your appeal request must be included with the form at the time of submission via e:Vision.

Instructions for how to use the appeal task can be found in the Academic Appeals User Guide for Students. Click the button below to access the guide:


Academic Appeals guide


2. Clarify grounds for your appeal:

⇒ There has been a material irregularity in the assessment process and/or,

⇒ There has been a material irregularity in the conduct of the Mitigating Circumstances process.

3. Write a statement:

⇒ Focus on your strong points.

⇒ Address any issues openly and state your reasons.

⇒ Refer to the University Regulations where possible to make your appeal more persuasive.

4. Gather evidence:

Anything that supports your case to demonstrate that the University has not followed the Regulations or procedures, or there has been an error, e.g. reasonable adjustments not in place during your assessments.


What can I do while I'm waiting for a decision?

Check with your Module Leader and Registry whether you should take any referral assessments (in case your appeal isn't upheld).


I'm unhappy with the outcome… What are my next steps?

You may be able to appeal the decision. You have 5 working days from the date of the decision.

Again, please refer to the Academic Appeals Student Guide for more information. Refer to section 3.2 of the guide (Request a Review)


I'd like more support

⇒ I'd like help with submitting an Appeal

UWSU Advice offers friendly, free, confidential advice. We are independent of the University so are not involved in any part of the decision-making process but instead represent your interests.

We can help you with: answering your questions, understanding the University's Appeals process and your next steps, and reviewing your statement or evidence before you submit it.


Book an appointment for advice


⇒ My circumstances have impacted my grades / progression

Find out more about Mitigating Circumstances claims